Jane's ride, to sell or not to sell

janeintoronto

Jane's ride, to sell or not to sell

Post by janeintoronto » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:17 pm

This is my beautiful '85 SE. (The ones with the wedgy fronts are the best looking, in my humble opinion.)
I am in agony trying to decide whether to trade it in for a Mini or Fiat or something. It only has 49,000km on it. However, it's black & has no AC. Just cannot decide. Everyone oohs and aahs over it, but ....
fierocarsm.jpg
fierocarsm.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 29535 times

Luke

Re: Jane's ride, to sell or not to sell

Post by Luke » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 am

The one thing I will say is that new cars just don't have the character, no one will ooh and ah over a new mini or Fiat and it won't have the personality of the fiero. If you're looking for a daily driver yes a new car makes sense, as a toy they just don't compare.

There's just something about driving a car that is more analog than digital that feels awesome.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am

Pps. If you sell don't trade it in you'll get nothing, don't list it on the car groups you'll get annoyed. Auto trader and eBay will fetch a good price for a car with such low km. Especially if it is rust free and you do a good job of documenting that in pictures.

Bringatrailer.com gas some good examples of documentation in pics

janeintoronto

Post by janeintoronto » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Well, I'm sorry to say, my Fiero is history. No it is not economical to just hand it to a dealer, but my circumstances make it impractical to sell it privately.
I offer this advice:
Why You Should Keep Your Fiero:
With your new car, you will receive an inch thick manual. For cheaper cars, you will need to sit in your garage all night to read it off the display.
Some info in this manual will be terrifying. An example is: how to repair your gearshifter.
That is why you only get the manual AFTER you buy the car.
Note: you will still not be able to pre-set your radio stations. This is in another manual you may not be entitled to.
The gear shift may be designed by someone who never learned why automatics still have 1st & 2nd gears.
It is also designed for people who cannot drive standard but who still want to look cool.
Identifying which gear you are in on a bright day will cause presbyopia.
Good luck being in the middle of the road with a dead car. The car believes it should never be put in neutral unless it is running, no matter how many car wash attendants are asphyxiated. You do not argue with new cars.
Just when you thought it was normal to apply a little gas when starting up, now they tell you to step on the brake. Your foot will now be confused and this can lead to serious accidents once in gear. After a week, it will still take several minutes to remember how to start the car. You will also
forget to turn it off. It won't matter because many things will still run anyway. See battery below.
The car will blink when you are close by. It thinks you are glad to see it because of the enormous key fob destroying your jeans' pocket. This key fob will cost $500. Changing its battery requires more tools and force than does a dollar store flashlight.
There is a good chance you will set off the car alarm right beside the first tee.
They don't sell those nice cozy Fiero fabric seats anymore. If you don't like black vinyl, be prepared to pay.
There's a "free" standard screwdriver so you can feel like a real mechanic. However, the car has no standard fasteners.
Removing the battery requires disassembling the car.
If you thought it was a chore maintaining the Fiero's battery over the winter, know that today's car, with more blinking lights than a Christmas tree, will insist on a highway excursion every 3 weeks. The dealer will be happy to sell you a trickle charger.
When you have reached maximum fatigue and stress and you are finally taking delivery of your electronic wonder, the dealer will try to sell you additional warranty products. You will do this.
You cannot turn off the seat belt buzzer. Again, you do not argue with new cars.
Airbags are not mandatory in Canada. Good luck submitting the form for removal. Car dealers say do not put your robust 12+ year old child 24" away from the front passenger airbag, but they will insist that your five foot wife, daughter or osteoporotic auntie drive sitting only 10" away from an explosive device. Airbags are part of planned obsolescence. They destroy the dash and crack the windshield for no reason, then you have to buy a new car. If you survive. That is why dealers ignore your deactivation request.
Asked what happened to that guy who was planning to build inexpensive basic cars, one wit replied, "Somebody probably shot him."